How a professional lawn care company will prep your lawn for the fall
After a summer of heavy use many lawns start showing signs of wear and tear by the end of the season. Early autumn is a great time to repair the damage and to ensure that your turf is in good condition for the year ahead.
Rake Out Moss
Kill off any moss with a lawn moss herbicide before vigorously scratching out dead material (thatch) from the lawn with a spring-tined rake; rent a motorized scarifier for large lawns. Raking improves the look and health of the turf.
Aerate the Soil
Open up air channels in a compacted lawn by pushing a border fork into the soil, or use a hollow tiner, which pulls out plugs of soil. Work across the lawn at 4-inch intervals. Repeat this process every two years.
Apply Top Dressing
After raking and aerating the lawn, work a top dressing into the holes. You can buy this premixed from garden centers and hardware stores, but it’s easy and cost effective on large lawns to make your own.
Brush in Dressing
Work in the top dressing thoroughly using a stiff brush or besom, lightly filling the new aeration channels, and covering the ground to encourage strong rooting. Apply it evenly and make sure the grass isn’t smothered.
Feed and Sow
Wearing gloves, apply a granular autumn lawn fertilizer evenly over marked out squares. Water in if no rain falls within three days of applying it. In early autumn, the soil is sufficiently warm and moist to sow grass seed too. Sprinkle seed to match your lawn type at half the recommended rate for new lawns to help thicken up any bald spots.
The Landcare Group offers some of the best Landscape Maintenance on Long island and the NY areas
Landscape maintenance (or grounds keeping) is the art and vocation of keeping a landscape healthy, clean, safe and attractive, typically in a garden, yard, park, Institutional setting or estate.
Using tools, supplies, knowledge, physical exertion and skills, a groundskeeper may plan or carry out annual plantings and harvestings, periodic weeding and fertilizing, other gardening, lawn care, snow removal, driveway and path maintenance, shrub pruning, topiary, lighting, fencing, swimming pool care, runoff drainage, and irrigation, and other jobs for protecting and improving the topsoil, plants, and garden accessories.
These are all the services that consist of a general residential seasonal maintenance agreement:
• Spring clean up: Includes all debris from shrubs, beds cleaned, beds cultivated, first cut & edged
• Pre-Emergence Control: (Late Spring) Second application, prevent crabgrass germination
• Broad Leaf Weed Control: (Late Spring & Fall) Controls chickweed, clover, dandelion & most broad leaf
• Insect Control: (Early Fall) Crucial to put down chinch bug, grubs, sod worm
• Fungicide Treatment: (Late Spring) Important in controlling brown patch, leaf spots & fusarium blight
• Fertilization: (Spring, Late Spring, Summer and Fall) The important factor in maintaining a beautiful lawn all year long
• Weekly Maintenance: (May through November) Cutting, edging and maintenance of flowerbeds cultivation, bordering grass-weekly service ends mid October
Fall Clean Ups: October & November you will receive (2) small clean-ups and Nov & Dec you will receive your Final clean-up
• Aerating: (September) Plugging lawn so roots get air, water and the nutrients needed
• Lime: Controls alkalinity and acidity of soil
We can do it all for you, contact us now to get started